Policy Manager | Part-time
Ireland’s national organisation for one-parent families is recruiting a part-time (15 hours/ week) Policy Manager. One Family is Ireland’s organisation for people parenting alone, sharing parenting or separating. We provide support, information and specialist family support services to all members of all one-parent families, as well as to those experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and to professionals working with one-parent families. One Family’s vision is that every family in Ireland will be cherished equally, and will enjoy the social, financial and legal equality to create their own positive future.
One Family would like to recruit an experienced Policy Manager to deliver a Practice to Policy response in line with our Strategic Plan 2019-2021 and future strategies. The successful candidate will be working closely with the CEO, Communications Manager and partner organisations to develop, communicate and achieve positive policy change for one-parent families.
Policy Development & Analysis
- Develop policy papers, submissions and other messaging for changes in public policy that will impact positively on people parenting alone, sharing parenting and those separating.
- Work with the Services Team to leverage existing policy and practice knowledge in order to inform policy positions.
- Support One Family services to understand and respond appropriately to the implications of relevant public policy.
- Identify strategic priorities for national budget and public policy development.
- Represent the organisation in relevant committees, networks and other fora as required.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with policy makers and influencers.
- Work with the Communications Service to communicate and disseminate policy positions.
- Represent the organisation as appropriate in media.
- Work in partnership internally and externally across relevant areas of work.
- Attend all required staff meetings, trainings and development days.
- Participate in supervision and reviews with the One Family CEO.
- Manage the Policy Assistant, students or interns on policy work placements.
- Undertake other areas of work where necessary or as requested by the CEO.
The Policy Manager will be responsible to the One Family CEO on a daily basis and will be subject to all the Policies and Procedures of One Family. The job description of the Policy Manager is designed in response to a strategic planning process and is subject to change in line with the overall strategic goals of the organisation.
Essential Attributes include:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role with examples of key competencies including development and communication of key policy positions
- Experience and knowledge of anti-poverty issues
- Experience of partnership working with other organisations, policy makersand Government departments
- Experience of public communications including media spokesperson
- Experience and understanding of policy making
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present complex information to different audiences
- Negotiation, diplomacy and influencing skills
- Relevant academic qualification at a Level 8 (QQI) or higher
- Competent ICT and social media knowledge and skills
Desirable Attributes include:
- Experience and knowledge of family law issues
- Ability to initiate new opportunities
- Staff management experience
- Remote working skills and experience
Terms of role:
This is a part-time, permanent post subject to future funding. The post is for 15 hours per week on a pro rata annual salary of€42.8k-€45.8Kdepending on experience and skills level. Days of work are currently flexible but subject to the requirements of the role and location of work. There is a six month probationary period and the role is normally based in One Family’s offices in Smithfield, Dublin 7.
A cover letter and CV addressing the required competencies should be emailed to Karen Kiernan, CEO, One Family at: email@example.com.
Applications should be marked clearly: Policy Manager Role
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Thursday 28 January 2021.
First round interviews will be held on the evening of 1 February and second round interviews (if required) will be held on the afternoon of 3 February 2021.
One Family is an equal opportunities employer | www.onefamily.ie
This role is funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development through the Scheme to Support National Organisations 2019-2022.