What is Counselling?
One Family counselling provides confidential, personal time to talk and be really listened to by a non-judgmental counsellor. The counsellor won’t tell you what to do – she knows that you are the person best qualified to live your life and will support you towards your own solutions. One Family counsellors are qualified and experienced, and supervised and engaged in on-going professional development.
Parenting in a one-parent family means that you must take responsibility for many decisions alone and at times this can be very stressful. Family or new relationships, parenting alone or working at shared parenting, an absent parent, answering your child’s difficult questions, making major choices – these are just some of the issues that can arise for one-parent families.
To find out more about Counselling, you can read/download the One Family leaflet What is Counselling?
Types of Counselling at One Family
- General Counselling | Supports people with on-going counselling for a wide range of parenting, family and personal issues – click here for more information.
- Solution Focused Counselling | Helps you work through a particular problem – click here for information.
- Unplanned Pregnancy Counselling | A crisis pregnancy, one that is unplanned or unexpected, can raise many issues for a woman or couple, and One Family will support you as you work through the options open to you such as parenting, adoption or abortion – click here for information.
- Post-Termination Counselling | If you have had a termination and would like to come and talk it over in a safe and confidential space, click here for information.
- Young People in Care | If you are pregnant or have just had a baby, and are in care or recently moved into your own place, our Pregnancy & Parenting Support Service is here to help you – find out more about it.
- Play Therapy | This form of therapy for children is provided for children from 4 – 10 years of age – find out more here.
There is no cost for crisis pregnancy counselling or post-termination counselling support. They are funded by the Crisis Pregnancy Agency.
We charge a small fee on a sliding scale for other counselling services, and our focus is always on ensuring that financial constraints are not a barrier to anyone who wishes to avail of these services.
Appointments & Booking
The Counselling service is open to pregnant women and expectant fathers, and to men, women, teenagers and adolescents in one-parent families. We offer a range of appointment times and can provide free, on-site childcare for your children in our warm and friendly crèche while you avail of the service.
We always try to ensure you are seen as soon as possible. How often you attend, or for how long, will be decided between you and your counsellor.
If you would like to talk with a counsellor, or find out more about any of the counselling services available to you, please call 01 662 9212.