Social Policy Officer – Job Description (Part-Time – Maternity Leave Cover)
The Social Policy Officer role is for 10.5 hours/week with a potential for increased hours subject to funding and is required for 13 months from June 2023 to July 2024 to cover the maternity leave of One Family’s Policy Manager. The Social Policy Officer will be responsible for the delivery of some of the policy function as outlined in Strategy 2022-2024 working with the CEO and Policy Assistant.
Ireland’s national organisation for one-parent families is recruiting a Social Policy Officer. One Family is Ireland’s organisation for people parenting alone, sharing parenting or separating. We provide support, information, and specialist family support services to all members of all one-parent families, as well as to those experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and to professionals working with one-parent families. One Family’s vision is that every family in Ireland will be cherished equally, and will enjoy the social, financial, and legal equality to create their own positive future.
Policy Development & Analysis
- Develop policy papers, submissions and other messaging for changes in public policy that will impact positively on people parenting alone, sharing parenting and those separating.
- Identify strategic priorities for national budget and public policy development with the CEO.
- Work with the Services Team to leverage existing policy and practice knowledge to inform policy positions.
- Support One Family services to understand and respond appropriately to the implications of relevant public policy.
- Ensure representation of the organisation in relevant committees, networks and other fora as required and participate in NOPFA meetings.
- Work with the CEO to develop and maintain constructive relationships with policy makers and influencers.
- Work with the Communications Service to communicate and disseminate policy positions.
- Represent the organisation in media as required.
- Work in partnership internally and externally across relevant areas of work.
- Attend all required staff meetings, trainings and development days.
- Participate in supervision and reviews with the One Family CEO.
- Manage the Policy Assistant, students or interns on policy work placements if required.
- To maintain all data, statistics and produce reports as required on the work undertaken and ensure all admin related to the role is completed.
- To undertake other areas of work where necessary or as requested by the CEO.
The Social Policy Officer will be responsible to the CEO of One Family on a daily basis and will be subject to all the Policies and Procedures of One Family.
Essential Attributes include:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role with examples of key competencies including development and communication of key policy positions
- Experience and knowledge of anti-poverty issues
- Experience and understanding of policy making
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present complex information to different audiences
- Relevant academic qualification at a Level 8 (QQI) or higher
- Competent ICT and social media knowledge and skills
Desirable Attributes include:
- Experience of partnership working with other organisations, policy makers and Government departments
- Experience of public communications including media spokesperson
- Negotiation, diplomacy and influencing skills
- Experience or knowledge of family law issues
- Ability to initiate new opportunities
- Staff management experience
- Remote working skills and experience.
Terms of Role
This is a part-time, 13-month role to cover maternity leave. The post is for 10.5 hours per week on a pro rata annual salary of €11,402 – €12,037 (equivalent to full-time salary of €38-€40K) depending on experience and skills level. Days of work are currently flexible but subject to the requirements of the role and location of work. There is a probationary period and the role. The role can be offered on a hybrid basis (mix of in-office and remote working).
A cover letter and CV addressing the required competencies should be emailed to Karen Kiernan, CEO, One Family at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be marked clearly: Social Policy Officer Role
Closing date for applications is 12 noon on Thursday 20 April 2023.
First and second round interviews will be held the week of 24 April 2023 remotely and in-person.