Fixed Term Contract Part-Time Communications Manager |September 2023 – August 2024
One Family – Ireland’s national organisation for one-parent families is recruiting a part-time fixed term Communications Manager for one year. The hours are up to 25 hours/week in 2023 and 15 hours/week in 2024 as you work to support a colleague to assume more responsibility over the year.
One Family is Ireland’s organisation for people parenting alone, sharing parenting or separating. We provide support, information and specialist family support services to all members of all one-parent families, as well as to those experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and to professionals working with one-parent families. One Family’s vision is that every family in Ireland will be cherished equally, and will enjoy the social, financial and legal equality to create their own positive future.
This Manager role will lead the Communications service in One Family. The ideal candidate will utilise their broad communications background, as well as their media, events and marketing experience in order to positively communicate One Family’s mission and services. We seek and recruit candidates who display excellence and innovation. This role is open to consultants but payment will be through payroll.
Communications Manager Job Description
- Create and implement integrated communications strategies for One Family and each of its services.
- Understand the communication concerns of One Family and positively communicate to diverse audiences about One Family’s vision, brand, strategy, policy concerns and services.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the media, provide information as required, promote One Family spokespersons and ‘pitch’ stories as required.
- Oversee the monitoring of the media, maintain appropriate files and update all relevant One Family stakeholders.
- Develop integrated media relations strategies to support campaigns.
- Finalise and issue effective press releases.
- Work with One Family’s media policy panel of parents in an appropriate and responsible manner.
- Media train One Family spokespeople when required.
Social and online:
- Oversee the creation of appropriate and targeted content for all social media channels.
- Maximise the design and content creation of the www.onefamily.ie website and associated e-learning platforms.
- Utilise existing storytelling templates for Facebook and Instagram to strengthen existing audience relationships.
- Creation and publishing of One Family’s monthly e-zine, staff newsletter and updating of One Family intranet site.
- Design social media ‘call to action’ and online advertising and advocacy campaigns.
- Support the policy team in communicating key policy messages and to support the development of policy campaigns as appropriate.
- Develop, write content for, and oversee, the in-house design and publishing of One Family materials in soft and hard copy including annual reports, service leaflets, information publications, training products, reports etc.
Events and networking:
- Organise, produce and oversee the management of One Family events both online and in-person.
- Represent One Family externally as required.
- Manage all activities within an agreed departmental budget.
- Oversee the training and development of the Communications Officer with a particular focus on media relations.
- Oversee all administrative work associated with the post.
- Ensure all statistics are maintained and produce reports as required on all work.
- Participate in all required staff meetings, trainings, strategic plans and development days.
- Participate in supervision and reviews.
- Undertake other areas of work where necessary or as requested by the CEO.
- Have a solid track record in communicating to diverse audiences through a variety of media.
- Have experience working with and relationships with journalists and the media in Ireland.
- Have experience of generating media coverage for social policy or civil society issues.
- A strong understanding of the design and updating of websites, the use of new media tools for marketing/communications purposes, and the management of backend development.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills including editing and the ability to distil complex policy information into clear messages.
- Have a strong knowledge of public relations, marketing and campaigns.
- Have excellent planning skills and the ability to think strategically.
- Have excellent publication skills and experience.
- Have the ability to manage and work within a budget.
- Be an enthusiastic and motivated self-starter with the ability to work in a team.
- Be detail orientated and able to multi-task.
- Have excellent interpersonal, networking and relationship-building skills.
- Have excellent project management and events production skills.
- Have a third level qualification or professional training.
Although not required, ideal candidates would also:
- Have experience of managing or mentoring staff.
- Have a good knowledge of the Irish political system.
- Have experience of working in the voluntary/community sector.
- Have knowledge or experience of the issues affecting one-parent families.
Terms of Role:
This is a part-time role for up to 25 hours/week in 2023, reducing to 15 hours/week in 2024. The role is based in One Family offices in Coke Lane, Dublin 7 although can be worked on a hybrid basis.
The full-time salary scale is €50,301 for a 35-hour week; the salary offered will be pro rata for the hours based. Annual leave and other benefits will be provided.
The post is subject to a three-month probationary period.
A cover letter and CV addressing the required competencies should be emailed to Karen Kiernan, CEO, One Family at email@example.com.
Your application should be marked clearly: One Family Communications & Events Manager. Closing date for applications is noon on 27 September 2023.