A discussion of the Law Reform Commission report on legal aspects of family relationships
A One Family Seminar
- Whether automatic guardianship (parental responsibility) for all fathers should be introduced.
- Whether there should be a statutory presumption that a non-marital father be granted an order for guardianship (parental responsibility) unless to do so would be contrary to the best interests of the child or would jeopardise the welfare of the child.
- Whether the distinction between birth registration and the allocation of guardianship (parental responsibility) should remain. This would be accompanied by provisions to encourage greater joint registration of births.
- Should there be compulsory joint registration?
- Should the current two stage procedure for applying for access (contact) by members of the extended family be removed.
- Should rights and responsibilities be extended to other family members.