Government Discussion Document on Proposals for Supporting Lone Parents
Need for a Coherent Policy Framework
Overall, One Family believes that there is an urgent need to develop and implement a coherent policy framework for one-parent families that reflects the realities of their lives and those of their children.
The key objectives of this framework in our view would be:
• reduced child and family poverty;
• reduced dependence on social welfare;
• increased access to early childhood development and education;
• improved access to services: education and training, childcare, including after school care, health and accommodation;
• innovative and positive engagement with one-parent families in relation to increasing their role in the labour market;
• recognition of the important role that parenting plays in Irish society and development of realistic work life balance options for those parenting alone; and
• coordination of services and supports, including information.