Employment Schemes

There are a number of employment schemes to help unemployed people return to work. They are aimed at people who have been on certain social welfare payments for a certain period of time.

Each scheme has different eligibility criteria, so make sure you check the full details of any scheme you are interested in.

If you take up a place on a Department of Social Protection employment programme you may be eligible for the National Childcare Scheme (NCS). The NCS provides financial support to help parents to meet the costs of childcare.

Work Placement Experience Programme

The Work Placement Experience Programme (WPEP) gives people who have never had a job or who have lost their job a chance to get work experience.

Community Employment

The Community Employment (CE) programme is designed to help people who are long-term unemployed (or otherwise disadvantaged) to get back to work by offering part-time (19.5 hours per week) and temporary placements in jobs based within local communities.


The Tús scheme is a community work placement scheme providing short-term working opportunities for unemployed people. The work opportunities are to benefit the community and are provided by community and voluntary organisations. If you are eligible to participate in the scheme, then you are selected and contacted by the Department of Social Protection.

Part-time Job Incentive

The Part-time Job Incentive scheme is for people who have been getting Jobseeker’s Allowance for 15 months or more. It allows them to take up part-time work and get a Part-time Job Allowance instead of the Jobseeker’s Allowance.