Other funding sources

St. Vincent De Paul

Saint Vincent de Paul has an education fund which you can apply for if you are returning to education. The grant does not apply to private colleges or training centres and will not be an option for those who already hold a degree or post-graduate qualifications. The amount awarded will vary depending on your individual circumstances and grants are awarded to those deemed to be most in need. You can contact your local SVP office and ask for further details on applying for this grant.

Bursaries and Scholarships

There are a broad range of bursary and scholarship schemes in operation which provide an opportunity for you to access additional financial support if you meet the criteria. In particular, Uversity and the 1916 Bursary have a specific allocation of funding available for lone parents.

In addition, many higher education institutions offer their own scholarship or bursary schemes. You can contact the college you hope to attend or are attending and ask about any specific schemes they may have. Most colleges and universities have a budgeting advice service which can help you with finances and will have information on what is available.

Student Assistance Fund

Once you start a course you may be able to apply for the Student Assistance Fund which provides financial support to full or part-time students who are experiencing financial difficulties while attending college. Students can apply for the Student Assistance Fund to help with either temporary or ongoing financial difficulties. The Student Assistance Fund is designed to provide a source of financial support in addition to a SUSI grant.

You will find an overview of financial supports available for education on the Higher Education Authority’s website.

Tax Relief on Education Fees

You may be eligible to claim tax relief on qualifying fees (including the student contribution) that you have paid for third level education courses. The qualifying fees must be paid for an approved course at an approved college. The maximum amount you can claim is €7,000 per course, per person, per academic year.   

You may be the student, or you may pay the fees on behalf of someone else like your child, friend or relative. However, you can only claim the relief if you are the person who actually paid the fees. 

The standard rate of tax relief is 20%. It is not possible to claim relief for fees that are funded by grants, scholarships or your employer. Any partial funding received towards course fees must be declared to Revenue when claiming relief.  Relief can be claimed for the cost of one approved course per person in a tax year.   

Funding to support Care Leavers and members of the Traveller and Roma Communities to access third level education

In November 2023, the Minister for Further and Higher Education announced plans to provide funding to cover campus accommodation costs for young adults leaving the care system and Traveller and Roma communities.  

It was also announced that funding has been secured for an apprenticeship scheme for this group. This will provide a student in care and members of the Traveller and Roma Communities, who wish to choose an apprenticeship, with access to financial support worth up to €3,000. 

You will find an overview of financial supports available for education on the Higher Education Authority’s website.

Last modified: 6th February 2024