One Family, Ireland’s national organisation for people parenting alone, sharing parenting and separating, is recruiting a Helpline Worker for a fixed term, part-time post of 10 hours per week. One Family’s vision is that every family in Ireland will be cherished equally, and will enjoy the social, financial and legal equality to create their own positive future.
askonefamily is the national helpline service for people parenting alone, sharing parenting, separating, their families and friends and the professionals working with them. We give information on separation, social welfare entitlements, family law, housing, education, finances, childcare, parenting and community supports. We also offer a friendly, non-judgemental listening ear to those who may be experiencing stress or difficulties in their family life and relationships.
Aim: To assist helpline callers in finding their own resolution to issues affecting them through the provision of information and listening support.
- To provide comprehensive information and listening support in a non-directive and accepting way by telephone
- To receive calls during the designated helpline times and follow up any calls as necessary
- To respond to email requests for information and support
- To accurately and fully complete all necessary records after each helpline call
- To research and collate details of community supports, information and services that may be relevant to the needs of people parenting alone
- To communicate information via on-line platforms such as Facebook and the One Family website
- To keep up to date with relevant issues and changes to ensure accurate information provision
- Input helpline calls, emails and other data into the organisation database
- To comply with all the policies and procedures of the organisation, paying particular attention to child protection and confidentiality
- Attend any training, supervision and support as requested
- To undertake other areas of work where necessary or as requested by the Information Manager
Candidates need to:
- Have excellent listening skills
- Have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Have interest in and experience of working with a socially excluded client group
- Have a client-focussed perspective
- Have strong administration and ICT skills
- Be enthusiastic and motivated
- Be a self-starter with the ability to work in a team
- Be well-organised with good attention to detail
Although not essential, ideal candidates would also:
- Have a relevant qualification or training
- Have experience of helpline work
- Have experience researching and providing accurate information and updating information webpages
- Have experience of working in the Irish voluntary/community sector
The Helpline Worker in One Family will be responsible to the One Family Information Manager on a daily basis.
The post is for 10 hours per week and flexibility can be offered and expected on when these hours are delivered. This is a fixed term contract until 31st December 2022, with the possibility of contract extension, subject to continued funding. This post is subject to a 6-month probationary period. The annual salary is €29,981.44 pro rata (€8,566 for 10 hours).
The role will be based remotely during the ongoing public health restrictions, but the successful candidate must be able to attend One Family’s offices in Smithfield, Dublin 7, when required.
A cover letter and CV addressing the role and the required competencies should be emailed to Valerie Maher, Information Manager, One Family at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Monday, 4th April 2022. It is anticipated that first and second round interviews will take place shortly after this date.
One Family is an equal opportunities employer
This program is funded by: