The Ark and One Family are looking for adults who grew up as part of a one-parent family to share stories from their childhood to help create a new documentary theatre piece!
This year, One Family, are celebrating 50 years of supporting one-parent families in Ireland since our foundation in 1972 as Cherish. To mark this landmark anniversary, we are collaborating with The Ark Theatre on the development of an exciting new work of documentary theatre. Created by playwright Kate Heffernan, the piece will put on stage stories from grown-ups about their experiences as children growing up in one-parent families in Ireland.
We would love you to get involved by sharing your story!
- Did you grow up in a one-parent family – with your Mam, Dad, or a grandparent? Did you live part of the time with each of your parents? Did you grow up with a step-parent? Where did you live and who with?
- What were some of the things about your family that you may want to share and celebrate? Do you have any particularly vivid or favourite memories from your childhood?
- How do you think your childhood shaped the person you are or the life you lead today?
- Was your childhood different to those around you because you lived in a one-parent family?
- Would you be interested in talking directly to playwright Kate Heffernan, in person or by video call, as part of her research?
All stories will contribute to Kate’s development of the piece. Please note: All names provided will be changed and measures will be taken to anonymise stories to ensure that no respondent is identifiable. We ask that you be mindful of any sensitivities around the stories that you share, and that you only share your own stories or those you have permission to tell.
How to Share Your Story
If you would like to send on your stories, please complete this form: https://form.jotform.com/220833665590359. You are able to write or upload your story directly on this form, or you can send it on directly by post or email to the address outlined in the form.
If you have any questions about the project, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for you to share your stories is Thursday 5 May. We look forward to hearing from you!