Parenting can bring many challenges and when you are stressed these challenges can seem even more difficult to face. Here are some tips on how you can manage your stress levels and teach your children that while it may be unpleasant, stress is a part of everyday life. However, it is also important to show them how to manage stressful situations and to help them develop their emotional strength in order to cope with life’s challenges.
- It is vital that parents learn to manage their stress and to develop strategies for dealing with difficult life and relationship issues.
- When parents cannot manage their stress this rubs off on children and they can become stressed or depressed.
- Learning the importance of support and the strength inherent in being able to ask for help is a skill that will take parents a long way.
- Children can also become stressed in their own right so parents can model good stress management for their children.
- In order to feel good about ourselves we need others to care about and care for.
- Knowing what help is out there in times of stress can bring a real sense of relief.
- Each of us needs a support system and this can come in many forms. Family members and even just one close friend can make all the difference to our emotional well being.
- Parents with children of similar ages can provide excellent support for each other through the mutual sharing of experiences.
- In order to parent well you need to be a good parent to yourself. Minding yourself is the key to keeping your stress levels down.
- Keeping a focus on your child’s well being can also have a diminishing effect on your own stress levels.
Find out more about our parenting skills programmes and parent supports. For support and information on these or any related topics, call askonefamily on lo-call 1890 66 22 12 or email email@example.com.