Options is a programme for people who are parenting alone or sharing parenting, and interested in returning to learning. If you are looking to get back into the workplace and/or further education after a gap, or for the first time, One Family is offering part-time courses in co-operation with the City of Dublin ETB.
Options is a part-time introductory programme specifically designed for those parenting alone or sharing parenting, and is run in partnership with Ballsbridge College of Further Education.
When? The upcoming Options Programme starts in mid September 2018 and will run till the end of May (one full academic year). Classes meet twice a week on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-1:00.
Where? Classes will take place in 17 Herbert Street, Dublin 2
Who can apply? Anyone who is parenting alone or sharing parenting can apply.
The Options programme will provide
- Practical skills for progression into, Employment, Self Employment and/or College
- Career tasters in a range of subjects: IT, Communications and Nursing Theory & Practice
- A combination of three minor awards at levels 4 & 5
- Experience of Further Education environment
- Learners may take all three options or a selection of the three subjects.
- Participants will have progression opportunities into full time education in Ballsbridge College of Further Education and other colleges.
The module options available are:
- Communications – Minor Award (Level 5)
This course is designed to develop your awareness of the essential role communication plays in human interaction and the relevance of good communication skills in the workplace. It explores the most effective principles and practices in gathering and disseminating information and focuses on developing good communication skills through a variety of media.
- Information Technology Skills – Minor Award (Level 4)
Technology and science are transforming our world, changing the way we do business, the way we learn, and the way we communicate. As the convergence of telecommunications and computing increases, information technology is the foundation of the 21st century economy. On this course learners will become familiar with the ICT environment and the how to use ICT to its full potential.
- Nursing Theory & Practice – Minor Award (Level 5)
The course is designed to provide learners with an introduction to the nursing profession, the role of the nurse in the health service and within the multi-disciplinary team. It also gives great insight into the work of a nurse, the disciplines and specialties that are on offer and the importance of nursing ethics and etiquette in various care situations. This is the foundation for those who are considering rewarding careers within various healthcare environments where nurse professionals may be their line managers so they can understand the role and responsibilities of the nurse.
- Options students can avail of counselling, information and parenting supports within One Family. Please note that travel costs and childcare are not available for this programme.
- A one-to-one session with a student mentor is offered at the course midpoint. This aims to help the student achieve personal goals within the aims and objectives of the Options programme.
How to apply? Recruitment is open now, and you may find that you would like to participate in one of our eight week programmes in May/June 2018 before starting Options. Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss your needs. Parents interested in participating in 2018, can contact us by emailing email@example.com, or by calling us on 01 662 9212.
This project is part supported by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning (PEIL) 2014-2020.