Personal Development, Learning and Career: Life-long learning for well-being.
Are you a lone parent who would like to get back to further education and/or work but don’t know where to start? Do you need support in making changes in your life?
At One Family, we realise that it can be daunting if you haven’t worked for a while or have never worked, or if you would like to return to or further your education but don’t what steps to take, so we run courses to help. We have a number of programmes to help create positive futures for people who parent alone or share parenting, where you can learn new skills to progress to training, education and employment. We understand the experience of parenting alone and sharing parenting, and how challenging it can be to move back into education or find fulfilling employment and so everyone on our programmes also gets to work with their own mentor and coach.
Our courses provide accreditations recognised on the National Framework of Qualifications, and some of them may be able to provide help with childcare.
Who are One Family’s free programmes for?
Programmes are free to parents in one-parent families and include:
- New Steps | New Steps is an eight week parenting support and self-development programme for people parenting alone or sharing parenting. New Steps can be taken as a stand-alone programme and is also an introductory course into our New Futures programme.
- Pathways | This eight week college preparation course is for those interested in, or going into, further education in September. This introductory programme is specifically designed for those parenting alone or sharing parenting. Pathways runs for eight weeks on Tuesdays through May and June.
- New Futures | With up to FETAC Level 5 accreditation, this is our flagship programme. It offers distinctive career development with wrap-around supports.
- Options | This is a part-time level 5 programme, and is a combination of three minor awards; Communications, Information Technology Skills, and Nursing Theory & Practice. This course will give the learner practical skills for progression into Employment, Self Employment and/or College Career tasters in a range of subjects: IT, Business and Social Care.
- Engagement Mentoring | Returning to education or employment can be a daunting thought for anyone especially when you are parenting on your own. Take the opportunity to sit down and work through any concerns with a mentor and discover the exciting possibilities of returning to education or employment.
Hear from past participants.
One Family New Futures Stories are the experiences of some of the lone parents who took part in our courses, in their own words.
One Family’s employability and education programmes are part supported by funding received under the Gender Equality Activity of the European Social Fund (ESF) Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020 (‘PEIL’). The Gender Equality Activity aims to promote social inclusion and combat discrimination in the labour market. Our programmes over the next three years will be focussed on women returning to the workforce.