What is play and creative therapy?
Play and creative therapy is a mode of therapy that helps children to understand their feelings and experiences. As play is the child’s natural form of expression, it can support them to communicate their worries or concerns without having to put them into words. Expressing and understanding their feelings and experiences allows children to move forward.
Who’s it for:
POur service cater for children aged 4 and over.
Please note: As of the 10 June 2019 the waiting list for play and creative therapy has been closed for self referrals, this is due to the high number of children on the current waiting list. Referrals from Tusla and other agencies are still being accepted.
Play and creative therapy: The key points
- Play and creative therapy establishes a safe, confidential and caring environment which allows a child to play with as few limits as possible, but as many as are deemed necessary to enable them to express themselves safely.
- The child is the leader in the play room, they lead and the therapist follows. The play and creative therapist supports the child’s initiatives, for example, by reflecting back to the child what they do and say.
- The child gets an opportunity to ‘play out’ their feelings, as play is a child’s natural medium of expression.
- Symbolic and fantasy play help to unlock the child’s potential and allows them make sense of their experiences. The child can express their feelings without having to use words.
- The child is given strategies to cope with the difficulties they face and which they themselves cannot change.
There is no charge for One Family’s play and creative therapy service as it is provided by professional accredited therapists, but where possible we ask for a €5 donation towards general running costs (materials etc.).
Booking an Appointment
In One Family, we work with one-parent, shared parenting and other diverse families. We have identified a need to support children who are trying to cope with many changes within their family. This service is open to children in one-parent and shared parenting families, aged from 4 years. Places are limited but we will always try to ensure your child is seen as soon as possible.
Play and creative therapy sessions are weekly and require a commitment on the part of the parent as missing or skipping appointments without good reason will negate the process for the child.
If you would like to talk with a counsellor to find out more about this service, or to enquire about an appointment, please call 01 662 9212.